A Sessa Blog

A Sessa Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It's a puppy party!


About a year ago it became clear to be that I was going to have to adopt my children. Why, you ask? Well I came to the conclusion if I couldn't handle the stress of my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Lexie being pregnant, clearly I'd have to be sedated and possibly institutionalized through my own pregnancy.

But my Lexie made it through with flying colors, giving birth by C-section to quadruplets on July 17 of last year. I was so relieved to see 4 healthy puppies, 2 girls and 2 boys. All had pallets, eyes, and legs and none of them were the dreaded 1 in a million "water puppies" I'd googled for weeks. I could breathe again.

The relief was short lived when I realized that occasionally dogs reject their puppies which my rotten little Lexie did for the first 24 hours. Puppies die, get smothered and occasionally get eaten by their mothers. I slept on an air mattress beside their whelping box for 2 weeks. I set an alarm for every 2 hours to make sure Lexie was feeding them (and not eating them). There was an incident involving the county fair when the puppies were about 8 days old that may or may not have led to me being taken home due to a thunderstorm and my fear of Lexie panicking, smothering, and eating her little bundles of joy. Like I said, I need psychiatric medicine.

This is when I came to the conclusion I may have to adopt a 2 year old. If newborn puppies stressed me out that much, clearly my own future children would be doomed. Ask Ally, Cooper, and Spencer. They all probably have scars where I poked them in their sleep for their first 6 months of life to make sure they were still breathing.

But magically, they all survived. They all found wonderful homes, they all thrived, and now they're all turning ONE!

So in honor of all my babies, we are having a first birthday party on Sunday! Now if you know me at all, this shouldn't be at all shocking. As I've said before on this blog, yes. I do throw my dogs birthday parties and I'm really not ashamed of it. With so many depressing things going on, why not have a party? Especially one that involves friends and puppies.

It actually looks like we are going to have an amazing turn out. I was expecting just the puppies and maybe a few friends. As of right now I've counted about 25 dog friends coming. I'm happy to know that I've raised some popular pups! Unfortunately we will be missing one puppy at the party.

Dietrich who now lives with my Dad in North Carolina won't be attending due to the fact that he has taken on the role as prodigal dog in my Dad's life. My dad called and said sincerely that he would just miss him too much, that if he could hand picked the perfect dog, it would have been Dietrich. So Dieters will be celebrating at home with his friends Bevin the Chihuahua, Spot the mutt, and Finnick and Gaby the Papillons.

So now everyone cross your fingers that it isn't 110 degrees, it doesn't rain, and most importantly, that my baby dog Sprinkles behaves herself. She has some jealousy issues with her sister Cera that usually end in Sprinkles trying to rip her throat out.


No comments:

Post a Comment