A Sessa Blog

A Sessa Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What it means to be a "Sessa"


For most siblings, there is a strict code that is followed. At least that is how it is for my sister, brother and I. Being 21, almost 20, and almost 16 we seemed to perfectly spread apart for the normal sibling rivalry. One minute you are best friends, the next you are trying to figure out ways to spike their conditioner with Nair hair remover. You cry together when you are sad, you rant together when you are mad at your parents. Mostly, especially when you get to the “fun” high school and college years, you just try to be a supportive best friend even when you don’t understand or know all the details.

It’s a different world however when you have a sister who is 18 years younger and a brother who is 20 years younger than you. Obviously I’ve never been a parent, but I can definitely say that when a baby comes into your life, you do so many things you never ever thought you’d do. Examples:


• Wiping a snotty nose with your tee-shirt
• Pretending that the stain on your True Religions isn’t spit up
• Watching endless hours of the Wiggles
• Attending a Wiggles concert
• Actually enjoying the Wiggles concert
• Publicly admitting that you most definitely would go there with Anthony Wiggle…and possibly Captain Feather Sword too.


You look forward to holidays even more because Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, and The Tooth Fairy are real again. You have more fun ballroom dancing on a fake stage in the living room than in any club or bar. You get more satisfaction out of watching a 3 year old master driving her Barbie Jeep than you do driving your own convertible. Things definitely change.
Sisterhood at this level definitely has its challenges as well. I always think to myself how I’m not really a sister to Ally and Cooper, at least not in the normal definition. I would never tell my sister Courtney that if she did something bad, I’d punish her. Or my brother Michael that if he didn’t eat his chicken, he wouldn’t get to play outside. I don’t have that kind of authority and that isn’t what siblings do. But when you are with a 3 year old and 17 month old most days what choice do you have? And if this is the case will we ever have a “normal” sibling relationship?




Probably not. But I think that’s okay too. I guess that’s why I’m a “Sessa”. All the perks of being their sister, but I actually get to appreciate them and influence them in a positive (and sometimes corruptive way). There is no arguing or jealousy that often comes with “normal” sibling relationships. There is no fighting about who gets the cooler toy or the better piece of candy, because I'm on their side.
So in this case I have decided that I have the best of both worlds when it comes to siblings...I get it both ways.

Besides, who wouldn’t want to be a Sessa to a “Pink Pig Horse Cowgirl Jesse Abbey Cadabby” and a “Blue Pig Horse Woody Cookie Monster”? Especially when you get the perks of Anthony Wiggle.







No comments:

Post a Comment